Bynum School was established in 1880. It became an independent school district in 1905. Between 1905 and 1914, five surrounding schools were annexed. Five additional schools consolidated with the district between 1931 and 1958 with Brandon and Irene schools being the last.
The campus is located approximately eight miles east of Hillsboro and Interstate 35. The District is a single campus facility located on Hwy 171 in Bynum. The main building was built in 1942 by the WPA. In 1999, a Cafetorium and elementary building were added. These were followed by a vocational building, agricultural barn, science building and library with gymnasium renovations completed in 2003. The school has grown in enrollment from a population of 130 in 1992 to its present enrollment. The district draws students from within its 84 square mile boundary and from several surrounding school districts.
Students participate in 6-man football, volleyball, basketball, track, golf, One Act Play, FFA, cross country, and UIL Academics. Active parent groups, the ex-student association and the community are supportive and involved in district activities.